Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Artist Interview: SHEBBO DESIGN

My first artist interview takes us to the magical, mesmerizing city of Istanbul, where the East and West meet in a unique, fascinating blend. Sebnem is a talented Turkish artist who works under her own brand Shebbo Design. She paints wonderful art on porcelain, rocks and stones, and her artwork is both decorative and functional. Her artwork reflects her many deep interests and her cultural roots.
Here she shares her artistic journey and inspiration with us!

Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture - Tile Wall Panel

- How did you first come to art and creativity? How did your journey in art and creativity begin?

Drawing and painting was my biggest passion in my childhood. I had loved to make charcoal drawings and oil paintings until I started the university. I was drawing & painting even on my school desks in my primary and high school days.
After long years in business life, I gave a break to my career in the middle of 2008 for refreshment. Then eventually, I embraced my painting passion again by listening to my heart!

Contra Love of Dandelions - Handpainted Bowl Set of 2

- When and how did you realize this was your real life path?

If you read "Alchemist" from Paulo Coelho, main character Santiago decides to follow his heart and go in search of his treasure; he travels on new roads, experiences a lot of adventures... And at the end he finds his treasure where his journey began... He realized his real treasure lies at his starting point :-) I am like Santiago... After long years and a lot of experiences, I realized that painting passion is my real treasure!

Sweet Fawn - 3D Handpainted Stone

- What are your main sources of inspiration?

I am mostly inspired by animals and nature, and of course life... Everything can give me inspiration :-)

Colorful Pansies in my Basket - Handpainted Stone Decor

- How has life affected your art and life affected your art?

Every single day is a kind of rebirth, we are all part of this unlimited dynamic flow... My art nourishes my each rebirth process, and my life cycle, my emotions nourish my art... My art is a reflection of my life, my affection and feelings.

Pets 3d Stone Painting

- We share a big love for animals, how do you express this in your artwork?

Yes, animals... The most beautiful creatures in the world... If I wish I could save all helpless animals all over the world! As a cat mother [of sweet kitty boy Pasha, see above], I especially like to paint cats on my designs. I love their curiosity, intelligence and sensitivity... I adore whole felines :-)
And I love dolphins, seals and other magical sea creatures... As you see in my designs, I mostly paint animals on my mugs, bowls, rocks and stone decors... I usually try to give "save, care and love animals and stop cruelty to them!" message with my artwork... God Bless Them!

Pets 3D Stone Painting

- Art is about light and color! What are your favorite colors?

I really can't differentiate the colors... I use all colors, I love all... Colors are limitless as our creativeness and imagination!

Traditional Turkish-Ottoman Tile Art Bird Pattern - Original Handpainted Porcelain Vase

 - How has traditional Turkish and Ottoman art influenced your work?

As you know, we have a great era of Ottoman and Anatolian Iznik Traditional Turkish Pottery and Tile Art designs. Even though I usually prefer to paint modern minimalist free style designs, I really love our Great classic Iznik-Anatolian Pottery masterpieces. I sometimes really like to reinterpret our classic Iznik-Anatolian designs in a modern way...

Vintage Design Oriental Ring - Handpainted Stone Ring

- Did you have a formal training in the arts or attend art courses?

I attended Porcelain Painting and Decoration Art course in 2008-2009 at Caferaga Medresesi (traditional Turkish Art school which was built 450 years ago by Sinan the Architect beside the famous Hagia Sofia).

Whirling Dervishes are making Sama on the Blue Sky - Handpainted Stone Decor

- Do you have a studio or home studio or particular corner in your house you have devoted to your artwork? Where do you paint your artwork?

Yes we have a separate painting studio close to our home. It is impossible to paint porcelain 'cause of thinner smelling at home  :-) We hired a very small place as our working studio with my sister (my sister Sule accompanies me on porcelain painting art). All my paints, brushes, materials, books etc. are there.

Art Nouveau Reproduction of Fruit, Alphonse Mucha - Onglaze Handpainted Tile Wall Decor 

- Among your paintings there are wonderful reproductions of Alfons Mucha's artwork. Is the Czech Art Nouveau artist (1860-1939) one of your favorite artists? (By the way, I love his art too!)

Yess, Alphonse Mucha is one of my favorite artists! He was a great Art Nouveau painter and decorative artist!
Thank you!

Thank YOU dear Sebnem for this beautiful and inspiring interview, and for sharing your artistic journey and inspiration! We wish you lots of happiness and success in your life and with your art.
And... by the way, it's your birthday tomorrow, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear Sebnem! AUGURI!!!

Wild Blue Butterfly - Original 3D Handpainted Stone Decor

You can find Shebbo Design at her Etsy shop, it's really worth visiting! And you can get to know more about her work on her website and in her blog.

©AnnukCreations

18 comments:

Pixel Wild Child said...

I love Sebnem's work, especially the animals painted on stones, I think they are amazing and so unique... now I understand it takes a true animal lover to paint them so beautifully! I love animals too and I loved learning a bit more about this artist, Thanks for sharing!

pantarei said...

Annuk I LOVE your interview and the questions you asked are from the heart.I 've enjoyed Sebnem's answers.They reveal a sensitive soul besides an exquisite artist.Looking forward to more interviews to come my wonderful cousin!Love u!

Shebbodesign said...

Dear Anna, thank you so much for featuring me first in your lovely blog! I am very honored!
And sweetie, this great blog post is one of the best Birthday Present I received today :))

Thank you sooo much!
Hugs and kisses from me and my kitty boy to you and your beloved Zoe :)

Annuk said...

Thank you all my sweet dear friends for your wonderful support! You give me the energy to continue this lovely project of meeting talented and sensitive artists allover the world!!! Thank you sweet Sebnem for being the first one!!! :)

birribe said...

So nice to read about you and your creative life, happy birthday again!!

Kreativlink said...

I enjoyed reading that article very much. Sebnem is a wonderful artist and hey, it's her birthday today!! All the best and may you have a wonderful day! :D

By Sweet Mom said...

Great interview about my sweet and talented sister. I am proud of you and love you sooooo much Sebocum...Happy Birtday

BHB Kidstyle said...

Happy Birthday Shebbo!!!! Great interview! I´m glad you´ve found your path! :)

DeerLola said...

Really loved learning more about Sebnem, a great great artist ! Great interview !

Naomi said...

Happy birthday, Sebnem, what a fab interview :) Your animal paintings are amazing, as is your philosophy of life. I, too, am a fan of Paulo Coelho, and the Alchemist in particular! xxx

kraplap said...

great interview; so great to get to know you a bit Senbnem !

Aldona said...

Wonderfull interview! And happy birthday Shebbo!

Shebbodesign said...

Thank you so much girls! I am really appreciated for your great interests :)
xoxo Sebnem

RitaJC said...

Thank you so very much for sharing!

Happy birthday dear Sebnem!

Annuk said...

Oh wow! Great you all loved the interview! Much deserved by such a talented and sensitive artist!!! :)

Green Hand Studio said...

wow thank you for sharing!

G Ozlem said...

All about beautiful:)Thank you so much Sebnem and Annukcreations:)))

Pixel Wild Child said...

Oh-la-laaaaaaaaaa, Happy Birthday to Sebnem, even if a bit late! :O)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...